Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Tribute to Steve Jobs

Sometimes there are moments in the life, which touch you to the core. One such moment happened to me when I read the biography of Steve Jobs by Walter Issacson. The former managing editor of Time magazine depicts the story of his life in an artistic way. Earlier I had heard of Steve; the legendary entrepreneur and founder of Apple, but now I am little more familiar to his life. Steve was an eccentric, innovative and visionary guy who had the keen sense of judging how thing should be. His life teaches us that facts are not everything, sometimes we have to believe in ourselves, in our sixth sense. He was a college dropout and still he hired some of the best people all around the world. The biography traces his life right from the beginning when he was adopted by Paul and Clara Jobs to the very end when he was on deathbed due to cancer. Steve was very much interested  in Zen teachings and it is said he learnt his love for simplicity from it.

On 5th October 2011, Steve died at an age of 56, don't know whether Apple will survive after him or not. But they will feel the loss for sure. Steve was responsible for quick decisions and binding different departments of the organization together. Whatever Apple does they cannot be leaders without the vision of Steve. The effects are beginning to show, the new iPhone 5 has no wow factor in it. The Apple Maps are a disaster; completely opposite to the perfection Steve craved for. The last time Apple launched such a product 'Mobile Me' in 2008, Steve fired the team lead responsible publicly.

He never did any market research, but believed in his intuition that people will buy this product. He was a magician who had the capability to woo people like the piper. In his lifetime he founded three companies : Apple, Next and Pixar.He believed in simplicity and his products show that. Every product of Apple from Macintosh to iPad was simple to use and futuristic in features. After reading the book I really wanted that maybe Steve Jobs shouldn't have died so soon, so that we can have some more inspiring products. He revolutionized the whole industry by bringing products that changed the viewpoint of people and forced the whole industry to change their plans.

Here are some pics of him I liked:











Some quotes from Steve:

  • Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.
  • You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.
  • Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?
  • It is hard to think that a $2 billion company with 4,300-plus people couldn't compete with six people in blue jeans.
  • The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. And I don't mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way, in the sense that they don't think of original ideas, and they don't bring much culture into their products.
  • The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. And I don't mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way, in the sense that they don't think of original ideas, and they don't bring much culture into their products.
  • Sometimes I believe in God, sometimes I don’t. I think it’s 50-50 maybe. But ever since I’ve had cancer, I’ve been thinking about it more. And I find myself believing a bit more. I kind of – maybe it’s ’cause I want to believe in an afterlife. That when you die, it doesn’t just all disappear. The wisdom you’ve accumulated. Somehow it lives on, but sometimes I think it’s just like an on-off switch. Click and you’re gone. And that’s why I don’t like putting on-off switches on Apple devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment